Thursday, February 24, 2011

iStand

So for the last couple of weeks, my car has been acting up. I took it to Midas in St. Louis Park and found out what the problem was, and also got a quote - which was super pricey. Over a couple of weeks, and per the advice of my dad and father-in-law, I researched and found a local mechanic who was supposed to be pretty good. I found his fairly shady garage in North Minneapolis, and really, he did a great job. Plus, it cost about a fifth what Midas wanted to charge me. Phew, mission accomplished.

Then, the next day, my computer randomly froze up. Tried turning it back on, and it just wouldn't work anymore. Once again, I was on the phone with my dad. Turns out, after attempting to do several tests on it, my hard drive is fried. That's right. I've lost everything I didn't back up since October-ish. Which isnt a huge deal. I also lost all the pictures I took since spring 2009. Luckily most of the important ones such as wedding pictures and Israel pictures are backed-up on CD's. But seriously, really inconvenient. Lost my contact list and everything for my support-raising, any talks I've given at TreeHouse, and other various documents i've written. Lame.

All this is to say that, although I was certainly very excited to have a dad who knows a lot about computers and cars and a father-in-law whose expertise is small engines, I wasn't exactly happy about either situation. Which is normal. And also wrong.

Just last week I had a Bible study with some TreeHouse youth where we talked about James 1:2-6 (one of my favorite passages in Scripture) and discussed the role that trials and hard times plays in our lives. God's ultimate goal by bringing us through hard times is to bring us to maturity and even closer to Him. Although it can be so difficult, we are called to face trials joyfully, knowing that God will help us persevere and at the end, we will know Him even better, more intimately. Isn't it funny how the day after you help someone understand one of God's promises, He asks you to cling to that same promise?

I didn't react poorly (I don't think...maybe you'd have to ask Emily about that one), but I certainly didn't react with joy. It's great to know God uses these things to lead us to perseverance. Promises are promises... and facts are facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment